Outpatient Counseling Services in Mohawk School District
We are so excited to introduce the expansion of our Compass School Based Program into Mohawk School District!
What is Compass you ask??
Compass is an outpatient Counseling Program based in local schools. We work with the district to provide a rock star Licensed Therapist from our office at the school to provide counseling sessions during the school day. Our counselors are trained and specialized to work with school aged children and teens for issues related to:
Parenting /Child Relationship
How does Compass Work?
Understanding that your child’s mental health and wellness directly impact their learning experience, Mohawk offers space to Angelus for counseling services within their school buildings. Counseling sessions are provided by Angelus & billed through the student’s health insurance just like they would be if you came to our physical office in New Castle.
This ensures that your child can get the services that they need, without the worries of finding time or transportation to get them to an appointment after or during school.
How do I get my child started in Compass?
- A referral from your Guidance Counselor
- Calling 724-654-9555
- or, by clicking the bottom below & completing the intake request form under the Get Started tab!
Christine Thompkins, LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor
Mohawk School Based Services
Words from our Counselor
My career began with a specialization in the area of autism but over the last 24 years I have gravitated more towards working with all school aged children and adolescents. My history and experience has included recognizing the importance of family dynamics and helping families to learn healthier ways to communicate and connect.
I have spent my career working with kids & teens because I am continually inspired by how amazing they can be. They have so much life and potential inside of them, but sometimes they need support & guidance to help them learn to use that in the right way. I enjoy being that gentle guide to help them fully grow into themselves & learn how to thrive. I work to help them learn to set goals they can accomplish and to build their confidence and internal processing along the way.
Learn More About Crissy HERE
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up for Compass
You can initiate Compass by either discussing your interest with your guidance counselor, a phone call to Angelus at 724-654-9555 or completing the New Client tab at the bottom of this page. Please identify yourself as interested in the Compass program at Mohawk when you make contact so that we can streamline the process for you.
What information do I need when I reach out?
To simplify the process please have the following information available when you reach out to Angelus. We will need your child’s name and birthday, your phone number/ address, insurance information (company & ID#), email address, child’s grade & teacher, and presenting symptoms
Why do you need my email address
To increase ease and accessibility of services Angelus utilizes a full electronic medical record system. Each client is set up with a personalized ‘Patient Portal’ where they can complete their opening paperwork and signature forms prior to their child’s intake. These decreases the formality of the intake process and helps decrease anxiety for the kids. It also will offer an instant messaging feature between the therapist and parents to ensure positive communication is ongoing within treatment.
This is not an optional process and is necessary for our systems operation.
Who Pays for Compass Counseling
Compass counseling is provided by therapists from Angelus Therapeutic Services and is billed through your behavioral health benefits of your medical insurance. You will be responsible for any copays or deductibles that may apply. This is not a product of the school district and they do not provide payment for these services.
What insurances do you take
Therapists are able to accept either Private Pay & Most Major Medical Insurances; including Aetna, Cigna, UPMC Commercial, United Healthcare, Highmark/Blue Cross/Anthem
*coverage subject to change. **we are unable to accept Medical assistance based insurances at this time.
Will this interfere with my child's schoolwork
We make every attempt to schedule your child during down times of the day. When this is not possible we will vary your child’s appointments so that they will minimally interfere with core classes. By not having to pick your child up and drive them to an appointment and back this dramatically cuts down on the amount of missed class time.
Who has to be present and agree to counseling for my child to participate
In situations with shared legal/medical custody of a child under the age of 14 both parents have to be in agreement to counseling and willing to sign consents and participate in counseling as needed. If an adolescent is between the ages of 14-18, either the student or one parent may initiate and sign for services. Both parents do not have to be in agreement to treatment this this circumstance.
How often are my child's sessions
Each child’s situation is unique. Your therapist will work with you and your child/adolescent to decide their level of care needs. Typically sessions are once every 1-2 weeks for 45 min-1 hr.
Have a question not listed here
Send us an email at email@example.com
and we will be happy to answer it and add it to this section to help others.
Mohawk School District Contact Information:
- Mohawk School District Website
- Mohawk District Office: 724-667-7782
- Emily M. Billing, Ed.D.- Coordinator of Special Education and Psychological Services
- Mohawk Elementary: 7724-667-7782
- George Sperdute, Principal
- Greg Scott, Dean of Students
- Jaclyn Cooper, School Psychologist/School Counselor
- Mohawk Jr/Sr High School: 724-667-7782, option 2
- Brad Meehan, Principal
- David DiCaprio, Assistant Principal
- Amy Lutz, Guidance Counselor
- Camille Colucci, Guidance Counselor
Help & Resources for Teens
Things are Hard Now, But Supports are Available!
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or Call/Text: *988 – 24-hour hotline for anyone experiencing emotional distress, including thinking about suicide.
- Lawrence County Crisis Line: 724-652-9000
- National Crisis Text Line: Text “Hello” to 741741 – Support for suicidal thoughts, abuse, sexual assault, depression, anxiety, bullying & more.
- Youth Helpline, Your Life Your Voice: 1-800-448-3000 Text “VOICE” to 20121 – A teen-specific suicide prevention lifeline that offers teen suicide chat from 8 p.m.-12 PM daily
- Arise- 24 hour confidential hotline : 724-652-9036. –New Castle based domestic violence shelter and services.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-799-7233- Provides tools & immediate support to enable victims to find safety & live lives free of abuse.
- Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: call or text 1-800-422-4453- For issues related to child abuse, counselors in a crisis, & information on how to get help.
- Trevor Project: Call 1- 866-488-7386 or Text “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200- Teen suicide hotline is available specifically for (LGBTQ) youth. Text 4-8 PM Fridys only
- LGBT National Youth Talkline: 1-800-246-7743 – Free & Confidential peer support for the LGBTQ and questioning community ages 25 & younger.
- Teen Talk Line: 1-800-852-8336 or text ‘TEEN’ to 839863 Available 9PM-1AM – Trained teen listeners provide support, resources and hope to any teen who is struggling.
- Pennsylvania Sexual Assault Helpline:1-888-772-7227- Support for victims of sexual assault and connects them to local crisis centers
- Love Is Respect: Call: 1-888-331-9474 Text: “loveis” to 22522 – Helps young people learn about healthy relationships & dating violence.
- National Drug Helpline for Teens: 1-844-289-0879 – Professional 24/7 Helpline for teens and parents.