video counseling helps people thrive!
You have been trying to manage everything that life has been throwing at you all on your own. You have put every ounce of effort you have into staying above water, but lately it feels like you are sinking deeper and faster then ever before. You try to wear so many hats, taking care of your home, family, work/school and trying to find time in there for friends and fun.
At times life happens and prevents you from doing what you need to take care of your own emotional and physical health on top of everything else. Right now with all of the stress and anxiety involved with COVID-19, focusing on what you need seems even harder then it ever has. At Angelus we are doing everything we can to ease the process and help you start counseling on your terms, with the therapist who fits you best.
Online counseling offers convienence & safety
Online, (telehealth counseling) appointments allow you to receive the same quality care as you do when coming in person to our office for your appointments, but without some of the stress and logistics involved in scheduling. This allows for more flexibility to your schedule by eliminating the need to take time off work, find a sitter, or deal with traffic in order to meet with your therapist. And right now, during COVID it eliminates the need to wear a mask and follow all of the CDC guidelines involved with in person contact and allows the focus to be solely on your needs and treatment.
Being able to look your therapist in the eyes, even while miles apart, and connect in a way we so desperately need in this social distancing reality. More info is available on our choice to stay all virtual at this time can be found here.
Situations where Telehealth sessions may enhance your ‘in office’ visits:
- Struggling with anxiety about leaving the house for appointments
- Feeling sick and not wanting to share germs
- Bad weather; snow & rain that may make driving unsafe or uncomfortable
- Work schedules that allow enough time for your appointment but not for the drive there
- Being out of town but not wanting to miss your therapy appointment
When its time for your counseling appointment:
- If using Wifi: be close to your wifi router, make sure no other parties on the network are using up the bandwidth, and you don’t have a lot of browser windows open.
- Close doors and windows that may let in outside noises and turn off any TV or radio in the room you are in.
- Take steps to ensure you are able to be in a Private Space where your session can not be seen or heard by others. Test this out by having your phone play music in the room and shut the door to see how much sound travels outside of it. A sound machine app is a great option to have on by a door to help drown out traveling noise.
- A headset plugged into your phone/computer can help enhance both privacy and your ability to hear your therapist clearly.
- For your own privacy Do Not meet for video sessions on public wifi Networks.
- McDonald’s & Panera are NOT acceptable locations for your appointment.
- Place your phone/laptop on a table or surface in front of you and check that you are showing from the chest up in your video screen. If more then one person will be in the session make sure they are both fully visible at all times. This will allow your therapist to be more engaged with you as they would with you in an office setting.
- Be sitting in a comfortable but appropriate position as you would for an in office session.
- Please ensure you are dressed fully and appropriately.
- To start your session go into your email and click the link from Simple Practice labeled “JOIN VIDEO CALL” -this will be sent 10 min before your appt, please see the example image below.
- If you are having technology issues or need to reach your therapist at the time of your appointment you MUST message them directly using the secure messaging feature in your patient portal at https://angelus.clientsecure.me/.
Check out our How To video on starting your first video session below:
*Please remember if you are having technology issues or are needing to reach your therapist the day of your telehealth appointment you MUST message them directly in your patient portal as we do not always have someone available answering the phone and checking messages.
*If you are needing to cancel or are going to be late for your virtual counseling session please log into your patient portal at https://angelus.clientsecure.me/ and use secure messaging to inform your therapist.
Plan ahead to improve your videp counseling appointment
- Read through the Getting Started with Telehealth booklet and reach out to us with any questions or concerns at least a couple days before your appointment
- Make sure you have a reliable device with an operating webcam before scheduling
- Restart your computer every day (or at least every few days) for it to run as efficiently as possible.
- Close any unnecessary programs and applications on your computer. These take away from resources needed for your computer to run efficiently.
- Test your internet connection speed. Google provides an easy way to test your internet connection directly from the google homepage. Simply search: internet speed test. Click the blue button that says Run Speed Test. If it is under 10mbps and you’re using wifi, try using a wired internet connection or restarting your router.
- Install recommended updates only from sources you trust, such as Microsoft and Apple. Keeping software up to date will help ensure the performance and compatibility of your computer.
- Locate the volume control on your device. You may need to adjust the volume or mute/unmute your speakers.
- If you are using a phone or tablet download the Telehealth App for the smoothest access to your session.
- Use the Pre-Call tool to make sure you have worked out all the bugs involved in preparing for your virtual session. Run this test at least 24 hrs before your appointemnt.
Online appointments are appropriate for many types of counseling sessions but isn’t appropriate for everyone.
***Please Note that YOU MUST be in the State of Pennsylvania at the time of your appointment. Our therapists are all professionally licensed in PA and can ONLY provide counseling to clients physically in PA. If we cannot verify where you are located we will have to end the session and you will be charged for a completed appointment. This would not be submitable to your health insurance and would be an out of pocket cost for you.
*Please understand that there are other times and situations where we may not be able to offer video based sessions. Each session is reviewed on a case by case. Feel free to call us to discuss if video based sessions are a good option for you. 724-654-9555
Our Telehealth Trained Therapists:
Counseling can help!
GET IN TOUCH
143 E Wallace ave, New Castle, PA 16101